One of my favorite stories about my parents was how they met. My dad had just returned from serving his country during the Korean War in July of 1954. Grandma Zach made mention that my aunt Hilde had some nice looking sisters. This was her simple way of saying that she thought her youngest son should meet them. My dad went to a dance at King’s ballroom in Norfolk, Nebraska on August 24th, 1954 where his life was forever changed. At some point during their dating, grandma decided to mention that Adela wasn’t the one she had in mind! Regardless of that fact, my mother received a ring on Christmas day only four months after she had met dad. Five months later on May 24th of 1955 they were married at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Osmond Nebraska.
They left on their honeymoon to Chicago, visiting dad’s sister Agnes and her husband Jim. During this trip the above picture was taken. Mom in her saddle shoes and all! It is crazy how much dad has remained the same. A little more meat on his bones, some gray hair, and a few wrinkles, but he still has that same funny “swoop” in his hair, that great big smile, and the twinkle in his eyes! Although mom may have gotten married as a sweet and gentle girl at the age of twenty; she turned into a strong, willful, and independent woman. To put it mildly, she is a force to be reckoned with!
Almost a year to the day later they had their first child, a son they named Benedict, on May 25th, 1956. Up until the year of 1977, they would have twelve more children….eight boys and four girls. I know that I see things differently than how my older siblings remember their childhood, but I know that each one of us would say that we have been blessed. I am constantly amazed to think about the many sacrifices that our parents made and would continue to make for their children. The list would be un-ending and I could not begin to do justice in explaining this list in a way that they deserve. So…I just wanted to post a little something as a show of gratitude to a couple of remarkable people that I call mom and dad!
They left on their honeymoon to Chicago, visiting dad’s sister Agnes and her husband Jim. During this trip the above picture was taken. Mom in her saddle shoes and all! It is crazy how much dad has remained the same. A little more meat on his bones, some gray hair, and a few wrinkles, but he still has that same funny “swoop” in his hair, that great big smile, and the twinkle in his eyes! Although mom may have gotten married as a sweet and gentle girl at the age of twenty; she turned into a strong, willful, and independent woman. To put it mildly, she is a force to be reckoned with!
Almost a year to the day later they had their first child, a son they named Benedict, on May 25th, 1956. Up until the year of 1977, they would have twelve more children….eight boys and four girls. I know that I see things differently than how my older siblings remember their childhood, but I know that each one of us would say that we have been blessed. I am constantly amazed to think about the many sacrifices that our parents made and would continue to make for their children. The list would be un-ending and I could not begin to do justice in explaining this list in a way that they deserve. So…I just wanted to post a little something as a show of gratitude to a couple of remarkable people that I call mom and dad!
Happy Belated Anniversary!
4 comments:
I soooo love this!!
I miss them.
I miss Nebraska.
I miss you.
I miss "home".
waaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Jeepers your dad had no idea what he was getting into! FERD! Wake up!
Home is here and waiting for you Barbara! You can move back any time!
I think it is great that your parents have been together that long...it allows us closet romantics to have hope that the future is perhaps not as bleak as I once thought. As for you remembering your childhood differently, that would make sense, you are the youngest - the youngest are so spoiled they don't remember ANYTHING bad!!! :) KISSES
Post a Comment