Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Oh Damn-Age!



House-sitting, or rather, animal-sitting gives me a chance to get out of one siblings hair while helping out another. I have to say, it is quite enjoyable having a space all to myself again…I can leave the bathroom door open while I potty or shower, I can sing as loudly as I want without causing pain to others, I can inappropriately scratch or adjust my bra without fear of offending others; but mostly, I have the luxury of blessed silence if I so choose! I read two novels during my three day stay at the house. During one of my quiet evenings, I was laying happily on the couch engrossed in my novel, the dog Maddie laying in her bed beside me, the cat Jack curled up contentedly at my feet. I had the news on T.V. as I knew that storms were supposed to be in the area. No major storms were hitting at the moment, no sirens blowing.

As I lay there, I noticed that it began to get a bit windy. Within minutes, or so it seemed, it sounded as if the roof were going to blow off the house. I gathered up the animals and raced to the basement….I just knew that there was a tornado hitting! I have never been so freaking scared in my life. There I was on the couch in the basement, huddled with Maddie under a blanket and cushions listening to the storm. The sound only lasted minutes. I unraveled myself from the couch and headed upstairs. The roof still seemed to be on…that’s a good sign! I went to the front door and looked outside and I was greeted with an unbelievable sight. Although everyone was safe, and minimal damage happened to the neighboring homes, it was sad to see so many old trees toppled and destroyed.

Mother Nature is amazing!

No comments: